View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Will there be any speed advantage to send some trains via Montreal-Brockville-Smiths Falls- Peterborough-Toronto?
I doubt it, and the trains would suffer from delays from freight trains (unless VIA was able to divert all freight traffic to CPR's Winchester Sub).

Quote:
I expect that the VIA owned track between Smith's Falls and Brockville will not be as heavily used if most Ottawa trains are moved to the new route via Peterborough. I could see the number of trains from Ottawa going via the Lakeshore route to be cut possibly in half. The extra capacity may be re-purposed.
This was posted in another thread, but I thought I would share it here as well. This map was published by Kingston Mayor Paterson on his website. It doesn't show the HFR route, but indicates the number of trains he expects per day in each direction from Kingston after HFR. While it may technically be a reduction, the service will be better scheduled for the needs of the Lakeshore, rather than focusing on the needs of travel between Toronto and Ottawa&Montreal.