View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Why do you say this? For statistical purposes or because it's not practical to administer?

The only thing I don't like about the rural areas is that they don't tend to pay their way. I don't mind that so much for actual rural residents (farmers etc.) but they are a small and shrinking minority. Most people in these areas live in large lot subdivisions that are subsidized by the core. They pay lower tax rates and have lower assessments because they are farther out but services like garbage collection cost much more per household because of the low density.
I don't know if any 'suburban' or 'rural' property owners ever really pay their own way. There has been a big push in Calgary to change the development agreement for new communities (with developers) because its been recognized that for the life of a typical suburban home (which these days seems to be about 40 years) - that home will not pay back the cost that was incurred to get it where it is (including roads, sewers, etc.).

Personally, I've always felt that the taxation system should be turned around and that people living out in the rural areas (with the exception of farmers) be taxed the highest and with downtown being taxed the lowest (to encourage redevelopment in the core).