View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:18 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

The triangular section of the lot would make for a pretty inefficient parking structure. I don't know what the optimum shape is, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it. The rink itself could be built closer to the tracks than where the mall is currently though. You could fill in that corner with some kind of public space either inside or outside of the main building. Depending on where parking is situated, that might make for a distinctive concourse or lobby.

Everything I've heard related to the city seems to imply that they aren't too keen on having a lot of parking, so transit is certainly going to be a major component. Since the city really ought to have a downtown transit hub, this would be a perfect fit. The events centre is going to be in use primarily at times where transit ridership dies down.

It'd be really great to see Acadian (or whoever ends up running intercity bus, if we ever get that back) tie in to it as well. Having municipal transit, intercity bus and rail all at roughly the same place would be ideal. Halifax already has a combined bus/train terminal and that seems to function well.

I do think we should get rid of the pedway across Main. It isn't used all that much, and they only serve to take people away from the street.

We've got a great asset in the Santa Claus parade every winter. It might be nice to integrate a lot of glass on the Main facade so that people who aren't able to enjoy the parade because of physical limitations or whatever else would have a place to see it. Including a lot of glass could be a good way to turn the Main-facing parts of the building as a venue for art displays which can draw people in.

Beyond that, the sky is the limit, really. The city has a fantastic opportunity to learn from venues all over the country to see what works and what doesn't. I think it's important to bear in mind that Moncton isn't Toronto though. The project is still going to have to be at a scale that is appropriate and sustainable for a city that's less than 200k.