View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Well downtowns in the South have participated in the booms only in minor ways. Houston has built a few downtown office towers and a small number of residential. The biggest surprise is downtown Dallas, given the strong growth of the region. I think there has only been one office building built downtown and much of the downtown residential growth has been concentrated around the basketball arena. It seems that businesses in DFW definitely prefer the suburbs over the downtown.
I agree that the downtown skyline drought appears to be affecting Dallas more than Houston. I mentioned Houston (and not Dallas), though, because it was the city being discussed in the post to which I replied.

The area "around the basketball arena" in Dallas to which you are referring is called uptown, not downtown. Uptown Dallas is adjacent to downtown Dallas, and (to your point) is the area that has seen an increase in density during the most recent boom period.

And yes, much to a skyscraper enthusiast's chagrin, the campus development has become the default development approach used by corporations relocating (Toyota, etc.) to or expanding within the DFW Metroplex, further adding fuel to the rapid growth of suburban towns like Plano, Frisco, Richardson, Garland, etc.