View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:16 AM
BANNED

The issue I have with San Antonio is the way it markets itself.

At some point recently, it self-proclaimed the "Military City" nickname, and has long billed itself around tourism. Problem is, the city is far from a domestic leader in either category (military or tourism). When I think military, San Diego, D.C., Pensacola and a handful of other cities and towns come to mind before I even think about San Antonio. When I think tourism, New York, Las Vegas, Orlando, San Francisco, New Orleans and a handful of other cities and towns come to mind before S.A.

The city needs to diversify its image beyond being a Tex-Mex, military paradise. That combination allows for limited long-term progress. It needs to either identify a single industry (e.g., biotech, pharma, telecommunications, etc.) and develop a reputation around becoming that industry's hub, or focus on attracting regional offices of several major companies in various (strong) industries that would serve as a catalyst for in-town development along the lines of what's happened in Austin over the past 20 years.