View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:40 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
This might be controversial, but I would love it if CBC English played a few of the most acclaimed and/or popular shows on CBC French with English subtitles (e.g., Tout le monde en parle). It doesn't have to be reciprocal (i.e., CBC French doesn't need to play CBC English shows). This would be more in the context of encouraging bilingualism in English Canada, but also helps fill air time with more quality programming.

I think they should devote a bit more time to covering international matters, and a bit less time covering US matters.

They should definitely receive more funding.
I'm not sure Tout le monde en parle is the best example for that since it's sort of a Quebec-centred public affairs show (though it would probably help non-Francophone Canadians understand Francophone Canadians better if they were to watch it), but I agree with the idea. In much of Europe, they air each other's shows with local language subtitles or dubbing, so I don't see why we can't do that here. It would probably even save CBC money, since they'd have to produce fewer shows.

The biggest downside though would be that some aspects of comedy and some cultural references will be lost in translation, and a lot of what already exists more likely than not has a lot of that kind of content in it. It can be resolved with creative writing but if it isn't done well, it can turn people off of a show too. A lot of CBC's English comedies make heavy use of puns that simply can't work in French.