View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is true too. There are a lot of "alternate history" scenarios that would have changed things a lot with only small differences. Geographically the Maritimes are a part of the Eastern Seabord, not the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes.

Another possibility would have been if Maritime Union happened (the original plan that became Canada). The Maritimes could have joined Canada or the US later.
The border between the United States and most of Canada was always more a political idea than geographic reality.

Quebec and Ontario had more 'natural borders' bounded by language and lakes/rivers, but one never would have built a railway east-west across the Canadian Shield to get to the Prairies. You would have built that west across the Plains had you not been encumbered by silly lines on a map.

Fortunately for us, the United States was distracted whilst our nation came into being. We had leaders who had the vision for something better. Flawed, sure, but gazing too far into 'what if' territory - while a fun thought experiment - leads to much more fanciful visions than reality usually gives.

When I look back at the choices I made in life 'What if?' always seems like I could have done better in hindsight. However, I could have done much worse too.