Thread: Halifax Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 8:22 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure this is the right way to look at it. Vancouver also has Nordstrom and Holt which are quite expensive and seem pretty successful. The Bay just isn't very appealing, particularly to younger people it seems.

I'm not sure why you'd want to reconstruct a 1950's style department store in downtown Halifax in 2018 but I think comparable retail options are going to be available. Some of that will consist of ordering stuff online or looking at showrooms then getting things delivered. Nobody actually wants to haul a couch or a vacuum cleaner home.
Good point but I consider Hudson's Bay a traditional full-line department store while Holt's and Nordstrom are more luxury / fashion-cosmetics.

Point being, a full-line department store would never work in DT Halifax and the previous posts were referring to perhaps Hudson's Bay relocating DT, that said, at some point perhaps something along the lines of Simons, say on SGR could perhaps work but I still think DT Halifax needs far more population to even make large-format chains like H&M or Zara work.