View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 11:51 PM

For me...most development projects are like "meh...whatever", like most of the stuff being thrown up in Clayton Park/Fairview etc, but this project...this project is, like spaustin said, making the most of space and was well designed. This was, for me at least a project to get excited about.

When I lived in Halifax I would spend a lot of time walking, to the point where I walked down a majority of streets in Halifax and at lest 1/2 of the ones in Dartmouth. Some of my fav walks in Dartmouth took place around the lakes and I always hoped that someone would come along and put up a well designed highrise (anywhere from 12-17 floors) in that area. Having seen it from so many different angles I feel that the geography alone cries out for one, not to mention the urban landscape.

I love highrises and skyscrapers and would love to see lots more of them. Not that I advocate Manhattans everywhere but if they are well designed, well built and positioned in the right place highrises can add an amazing, visually appealing mix of colour and contrast that many cities need. Sadly most such efforts either fail or fall flat (Cowie Hill being a prime example) which makes it doubly frustrating when idiot politicians are presented with the real deal...they suddenly can't see "the forest for the trees"

I really hope this guy continues his fight thru the courts and wins. This is a building that both needs to be and must be built.