View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:52 AM

I moved from Canada to Australia back in 2008, for about a year. I had a 4 year working visa, but didn't end up staying that long. I moved to Brisbane.

As Canadians younger than 30, it should be pretty easy for the both of you to get working holiday visa's that are good for a year, but limit the type of work you can do. I am an engineer, and had applied for a job online, interviewed over the phone and got it. My employer then sponsored me on my visa.

I would check out the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs website at www.immi.gov.au, as it has a lot of information for migrants to Australia.

You may also want to check out www.workingin-australia.com for some more information and links to potential employers. Other general job sites are www.careerone.com.au, www.seek.com.au, www.mycareer.com.au and www.employment.byron.com.au.

Some things to expect and some things that caught me off guard upon arrival. Housing in Australia's major cities is (or at least was) very expensive and competative. I am from Calgary, a city that is kind of on the expensive side, but was surprised at how much I had to pay there and how difficult it was to find a decent place. Not sure if things have calmed down at all in the past couple of years, but when I was there agents would have open houses for a rental appartment (say at 11:30 on a Thursday morning) and would show it to people, and then have a recommended price but it essentially became a bidding war, just to rent. $1600 a month would have gotten me a very dated (built in early 80's) modest furnished apartment (furniture almost as old as the place itself). I ended up just getting a room in a 3 bedroom place for $1000 a month. General cost of living is higher it seemed, more expensive groceries etc....

But, some things were cheaper. Flights within the country were a way better deal than in Canada. As a result I was able to travel most weekends and see a lot of the country, without breaking the bank.

Vehicles are pretty expensive there though (especially imports) so if you need one, you might be okay bringing your truck over. Having said that, I have no idea what is involved and they do drive on the other side of the road. I can't imagine it is cheap to ship a vehicle over there, so maybe look into that.

That's about all I can think of for now, reply if you have any other questions and I will do what I can. I left Australia on May 1, 2009, so it has been a couple of years. It was a great country though with friendly people. Very similar to Canada cultural wise, but much warmer weather (too warm in Brisbane some days).