View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 7:08 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
But how cool would it be if it started to deviate from that mold and grew limbs out along the 'L'. Similar to that of Younge Street in Toronto and the subway that runs below it.
I've wanted that for Chicago ever since the first time I flew into Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This new proposal is only for the parking garage. The empty lot will be a 7-story expansion of MDA City Apartments.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The Blue Line corridor under Milwaukee, and certainly the Brown Line, have too much historic building stock to be replaced en masse with highrises. Toronto never had that. It’s the Green Line along Lake that could add serious density all the way to Garfield Park. Plenty of parking lots and vacant land to be build up. That would be cool.

Chicago will have a sort of cruciform skyline rather than linear. And that will create four unique panoramas when you think about it, as well as maximising views from and of individual buildings.
There are more parts of the Brown Line that could be expanded up than it may seem at first glance.

Chicago already had had some, but has space for more. Division obviously already has been but needs a stop. If a stop were added at Halsted, that could be true there, to. Fullerton has that surface lot at Sheffield and Fullerton and then had had the tall midrise on Lincoln and the Children's replacement. Diversey stop is surrounded by strip malls and several parcels ripe for redevelopment. Belmont is pretty tight, but within two blocks are several places significantly tall buildings could be placed, like that bank near the new Target. Southport isn't a candidate, but the area between Paulina and Addison and leading a few blocks north of Addison has significant potential. Irving Park and Montrose have some single story buildings between the'L' and Metra tracks that probably just need a zoning change to shoot up. Damen is pretty tight but there are a few lots on Lawrence with potential. Western could practically turn into downtown Evanston if there was a will and demand. And then at Kimball that bank could be redeveloped, and the strip mall, to speak nothing if the CTA selling air rights to their Yard.
[/SIZE]