View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
The NBA, NFL and MLB have been slower to grow via expansion or relocation over the last 20 years or so. The NHL and WNBA both seem to have experienced much more expansion and relocation activity during the same time frame.

Over the next 10 years, what cities do you think are most likely to attract a pro sports team, either by expansion or relocation? If the city will likely attract a pro sports team via relocation, which team(s) could you see it attracting?

When Steve Ballmer - a former Microsoft exec who has deep ties to Seattle - bout the LA Clippers, I thought it was only a matter of time until he would move the team to Seattle; now, it appears that they will likely remain in the L.A. area (Inglewood), at least for the near future.

I can see Austin landing the San Antonio Spurs (NBA) via relocation. Austin has been home to a Spurs development league affiliate for many years, and not long ago, the team even went so far as to change its name from the Austin Toros to the Austin Spurs. Austin continues to grow at a fast pace, and could potentially surpass San Antonio in population by 2028. I can also see Nashville landing the Memphis Grizzlies (NBA).

I can see Orlando attracting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL) via expansion. I can also see San Diego landing an NFL team by 2028 if their stadium issues ever get resolved, and I can also see an NFL team entering the Central Texas (Austin/San Antonio corridor) market by 2028.

I can see London finally attracting an NFL team by 2028, especially considering the league's constant promotion of itself by hosting regular season games there.

Other potential candidates:

Seattle (NBA)
Cincinnati (NBA)
Portland (MLB)
St. Louis (NBA and NFL)
Mexico City (NBA)
Austin/San Antonio (MLB)
Vancouver (NBA)
Montreal (MLB)
MLS has 12 west teams and 11 east. I think Miami is getting a new team.
NHL has one less central team than other divisions. Maybe Houston or Austin will get a team. I think MLS will see the most growth.

I think 3-4 NBA teams may move among Brooklyn, Sacramento, LA Clippers, Memphis and/or New Orleans. I think Seattle will get a team and maybe Memphis will move to Nashville. I don't think San Antonio will move to Austin, but perhaps they may play some games there. I don't think Midwest will get another NBA team. Las Vegas may get an NBA team from one of the California cities.

For NFL, I think Buffalo will lose their team to Toronto. I think either the LA Chargers or NY Jets will move, with one going to London.

For MLB, I think San Diego and Oakland will move, with one perhaps going to Portland and one going to Austin.