View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:19 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Yes, good for Halifax. This is like being part of a classroom in which everyone has failed a test -- yet the kid with the highest mark believing he's smart.

Within the coming decade when long stretches of 30-40*C spring, summer, and fall weather is the new normal -- it's not difficult to image our tree count dropping, just as many of America's, India's, China's, Australia's, Africa's, Russia's, and Europe's forests are currently burning because of the prolonged high temperatures.

Hopefully at this point people won't still be comparing Halifax to the tree count of other cities because it is useless information in dealing with climate change.
My point was that many "environmentalists" (not calling you out, just generalizing) don't actually think about their surroundings and specific situation, and instead spout off mindless drivel that may work somewhere but not necessarily in their specific situation, which does nothing but slows progress.

Tell me, what sounds better in the context of Halifax? Building a short-term park (or even long-term) on the Convention Centre site as the author of the article suggests, which makes Halifax "greener", despite already being quite green and having Citadel Hill / the public gardens within blocks of the site

or

building the convention centre, which will help to stimulate the economy, provide long-term economic stimulation through investment/taxes/enticing business, and using this new money/investment to improve the transit system in a city that is dealing with continuously increasing sprawl and traffic.

The argument could be made, I suppose, to forego the convention centre and invest the municipality's convention centre-money into the transit system directly, however I would argue that the 2nd option I proposed is a much happier medium.

I'm all for the environment. I recognize the problems with climate change. But I want to address the issue in a reasonable, compromising manner instead of simply spouting off "trees trees trees, doomsday is coming" as I see so many uninformed "environmentalists" doing oh so often around my campus and elsewhere.

Anyway, this seems to be getting off-topic, and I'm not looking to (nor am I informed enough) to get into an in-depth environmental debate. I just wanted to clarify my point and voice what I consider to be the largest flaw with the environmental movement.