View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 8:07 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
This..."stuff"?...

This 'stuff' that environmentalist are trying to get at is for every city from every country to leave as little a carbon footprint as possible. Halifax is green by comparison to many cities in North America, yet dirty when compared to cities internationally.

I'm glad there are Haligonians who are educated enough in climatology and aren't settling just because we've simply cleaned the harbour up. People are still driving too much. Buildings still aren't green enough. Our power grid is still inefficient and wasteful.

Since the warming we've experienced in the last few decades has, historically, always taken tens of thousands of years to occur naturally during interglacial periods, to not want strict action taken to curb our carbon emissions and urban sprawl means you're either profiting from the status quo -- or you don't read.
You're off your rocker... most cities don't even have a compost program, let alone most of the waste diversion Halifax has.

Furthermore, the dirtiest part of Halfax's history is over.

Take Halifax's population, industrial output and compare that to other places in the world. I can almost guarantee that its small for Canada and much cleaner than other places (see tar sands or even more NS, the Sydney tar ponds). In addition, all of the worst offenders are emerging markets and the US.

Don't buy into all this nonsense like we are the problem. The structural changes to move away from a petroleum based economy are in motion.

We may in fact be lucky that many developing nations are creating green industries and hadn't industrialized when dirty tech was the only option.

What I hear out of Haligonians is this doomsday bullshit and its fucking annoying.

I grew up sailing Halifax harbour... trust me when I tell you its like night and day and its probably continuing to get better.