View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There's a fairly detailed series of articles on downtown Halifax here: http://www.openfile.ca/halifax/story...rington-street

One of the interesting parts is a map of the downtown that shows who owns which properties.

The articles are fairly balanced but I get the sense the authors couldn't quite resist playing into the "beleaguered downtown has seen better days, but hope is on the horizon" narrative.

I also find that the old 1950's-era definition of "downtown" is used a lot. You can't paint an accurate picture of "downtown" retail in Halifax without talking about Spring Garden Road. The lines are also pretty blurred around the other edges of the old downtown because of new developments like the NSP HQ. I think it's more accurate today to consider the area around Barrington the "old town" rather than "downtown".
They're interesting but I guess most aren't written by people who have any background on development or real estate. The one your link goes to first is by Chris Benjamin, who is the Coast's enviro-nut and who gets roundly criticized for his articles in online comments for that publication, which gives you a sense of how extreme he can be. Probably not the best choice for such an article.