View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 7:26 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Do you have a map? (with scale)
Not really, but what about programs like Google Earth or Local Live???

This pic gives a pretty good idea about it's size although much of the suburbs blends into the green nature..

Quote:
Believe me I've looked but couldn't find one.
If you can be more specific about your needs I might be able to help...

Quote:
CPH should be interesting with a "hole" in it for Frederiksberg, just like some American cities
Howcome a hole?

Copenhagen is made up of many municipals - each with it's own city hall.. so if you take out the small municipal of Frederiksberg you might as well leave out all the suburbs and just use the downtown ( "Copenhagen City" ) area that is "Copenhagen Municipal" ( pop 502.000 )... it would however be FAR from the real urban area!

At January 1st there was a lot of changes in the structure here in Denmark - we stopped using counties and switzed to regions instead... many municipals was also joined...

Copenhagen City that used to be seperat along with Frederiksberg from Copenhagen county is now all joined into one metro-county-like system called: "Region Hovedstaden" ("The Capital Region" )

The region is made up by 29 municipals ( 1 being the island of Bornholm, the rest is a great part of the Copenhagen metro and some of Northern Zealand )

The regions...

As you can see the Copenhagen Metro have been cut in two and parts like Køge and Roskilde is now in the "Region Sjælland" ( "The Zealand Region" )

It's ridicules imo - but was aperently done to keep the economy equal as these new Regions are in change of the hospitals and other service like that - and while the rest of Zealand is far from poor it's no match for the "C-Dot"

Anyway political lines aside the metro is fairly big due to the love of sprawl that dominated from the 60s to the late 80s ( and to some degree continues even to this day... )

What excactly goes into the Metro is despurtable as we have several ways of messuring it ( municipals, urban area, economic influence and what not.. )

My own view of it is pretty much the same as Emporis's so instead of writing it - I'll just quote them:

Quote:
Copenhagen Metropolitan Area

Copenhagen Metropolitan Area consists of the enclave suburb of Frederiksberg, which is entirely surrounded by the borders of Copenhagen, and all the municipalities in the 3 counties of Københavns Amt, Frederiksborg Amt and Roskilde Amt.

These 50 municipalities are also a part of the Øresund Region, the other half being on the Swedish side of Øresund. This area, connected by the Øresund Bridge, is the most populated in Scandinavia with more than 3,000,000 inhabitants.

Population

Metro Cities
Albertslund, Allerød, Ballerup, Birkerød, Bramsnæs, Brøndby, Copenhagen, Dragør, Farum, Fredensborg-Humlebæk, Frederiksberg, Frederikssund, Frederiksværk, Gentofte, Gladsaxe, Glostrup, Græsted-Gilleleje, Greve, Gundsø, Helsinge, Helsingør, Herlev, Hillerød, Høje-Taastrup, Hørsholm, Hundested, Hvalsø, Hvidovre, Ishøj, Jægerspris, Karlebo, Køge, Ledøje-Smørum, Lejre, Lyngby-Tårbæk, Ølstykke, Ramsø, Rødovre, Roskilde, Skævinge, Skibby, Skovbo, Slangerup, Søllerød, Solrød, Stenløse, Tårnby, Værløse, Vallensbæk, Vallø.
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/me/?id=100365
However like every other large city we do ofcause draw people in from outside of the metro area... here's a map of that:

( colour = % of population working within the yellow lines )

Notice that Sweden is not illustrated in the map - around 12.000 cars and 20.000 train passengers cross the Øresunds Bridge daily - so we do also get a fair share from that side... ( many Danes reside there as both houses and cars are cheaper and the driving time to Downtown CPH is shorter than from some of the Danish suburbs.. )

Well - enough from me about Copenhagen... it should give you good folks an idea...

Last edited by FREKI; Feb 23, 2007 at 7:37 AM.