View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 10:37 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
i've spent a lot of time in HK / SZ / GZ.

in no way does it practically function as a single region. HK and SZ, yes, although locals are somewhat loathe to deal with the painful border crossings on a frequent basis. for a foreigner, it's even more maddening with what seem to be 8 separate checks/gates in each trip.

guangzhou is a totally separate place. nobody i've ever met (we have offices all over china, multiple projects in guangzhou, etc) routinely goes back and forth between the two, nor do they consider hong kong and guangzhou terribly related. it's true that one can travel on the surface between them and hardly see anything other than hardscape and buildings except for the green belt at the border, but that doesn't make it a single place.
I think Foshan is probably the only part of the PRD that is actually integrated with Guangzhou, given that they share a Metro system.

I've never crossed the HK / mainland border except via HSR and air, where the border checks are the same as they are for any other international travel - one passport check to leave the mainland, and another to enter HK (or vice versa). Mainlanders have the same. Is it any different at the SZ / HK checkpoints?