View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's a truly amazing cabinet card just listed on eBay.

"1890 LOS ANGELES VERNON ST RAILWAY CAR BARN 22ND ST CENTRAL CABINET REAL PHOTO"

If I'm reading the description correctly the seller believes the car barn was located at 22nd Street and Central Ave. Does anyone know if this is correct? ...(there is no writing on the reverse)

Here's a closer look. ..It clearly says Los Angeles & Vernon St on the railcar.

But I don't see any indication of the location. (there aren't any signs on the building)

Thanks for setting me straight on the Knickerbocker locations, HossC. I appreciate the help.

Can confirm, e-r. Robert C. Post's Street Railways and the Growth of Los Angeles shows a (different) photograph of this building at 22nd & Central and positively IDs it as the LA&V car barn.

Post adds some color...

"Then came the Los Angeles & Vernon Street Railway, a five-mile standard gauge horse railway running for most of its length on Central Avenue and connecting with the Santa Fe's Ballona branch at Green Meadow Road (Slauson Avenue), beyond the city's southeastern outskirts. Among this company's founders in 1887 had been the architect E.F. Kysor and John D. Bicknell, an attorney prominent in the affairs of the Pacific Railway."

Post then goes on to describe how the LA&V became one of the pieces of the street railway consolidation wars that would last into the early 20th Century.