View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Darrell Clarke proposes ban on roof decks and certain building materials in gentrifying Strawberry Mansion

https://whyy.org/articles/darrell-cl...berry-mansion/

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
As much as I strongly disagree with most of Darrell Clarke's actions, this one is actually much more palatable than other things he's proposed. Sure, the roof deck ban is stupid, and the height limits are equally so, but some corridors in Strawberry Mansion should have historic protections granted to them. As 33rd, Lehigh, and especially Diamond begin to see an influx of investment, there should be some design controls placed along those corridors to ensure that their respective legacies of high-quality architecture are preserved. Concrete, vinyl, and ESPECIALLY stucco are insults to the three aforementioned corridors.

At this point, both 29th Street and Ridge Avenue should be upzoned, and developers should be allowed to go crazy. There isn't much left to save between Diamond and 33rd/York along Ridge, and there are a ton of vacant lots along 29th Street. The same should go for smaller blocks with a lot of vacant lots.

I'm in Strawberry Mansion a lot, as it's one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. I'm so glad to see that people are finally paying attention to it, and I'm confident that it will only continue to rise in stature in the coming years. Darrell Clarke can't even stop that!

Temple University '18 ']['