View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:30 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
...Here's the Lookout Mtn. postcard that started our W. P. Story Building conversation.

ebay

I finally located the backside of the above postcard.

It advertises Pacific Electric's "Balloon Route Excursion, 101 miles, one day, one dollar"

ebay......It would be around the turn of the century since the postmark on the pc is 1914...It's a bit strange Lookout Mountain isn't listed as an attraction, especially since it's featured on the front of the postcard. Go figure.

___
The Inn was only open for 4 or 5 years before it burned down, and I suspect that it was not very successful while open. Part of the problem must have been that at the time, the location was somewhat remote and difficult to reach. There was no public transport to Lookout Mountain and even if one had a car, it was a challenging drive to the summit! I get the feeling that the Lookout Mountain Inn was not promoted very well, or widely, and maybe the post card publisher simply didn't have any information about the place.

Among the photos in the old Hollywood album I bought recently there are several of Lookout Mountain that I'd never seen before. I'm going out of town for a few days, but will post them after I get home. And I'm still investigating the old roads we see in the images, some of which were probably erased at some point. More later.