View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I wish that we could add our previous posts on here.

For those of us who worked at McD's, does anybody remember the Q-ing ovens? Those super powerful microwave ovens used to heat the food. You had to know the codes for different items. I remember we had to say an item was "Q-ing" when someone at the front was waiting for something and it was in one of these things:

They used to use them for pretty much every burger but now I think they're only used for certain items from what I've heard.
The Q-ing oven was such a crock of shit. My last year at McD's, they overhauled the food preparation. Out was the bin and the old form of production calls: "Give me 12 ham, 6 macs, turn-lay" (which meant a call for 12 hamburgers, 6 Big Macs [the latter also requiring 12 10:1 patties], and once the patties for these were turned, another set of 12 & 6x2 was laid on the grill, and so forth). And then "On 12 ham?"...the answer might have been "On 8" which denoted how many of these 12 hamburgers became cheeseburgers. The prepared burgers were put up for the production manager to wrap and place in the bin, ready for purchase.

Then this fucking Q-ing oven came in. Buns were toasted in advance...sometimes 4 or more hours in advance. Meat was cooked and placed in holding steamer cabinets for up to 30 minutes in advance. Burgers were then "made to order" by slapping together the prepared ingredients, and reaheating them in a "Q-ing" oven. Allegedly the Q stood for 'quality'.

We were forbidden to call the Q-ing ovens "Microwaves" (even though it said, very clearly on the back of the oven: "This is a microwave oven" in the safety message). I recall having to answer customer queries about our new cooking methods, and doling out the official line about the Q-ing oven...how it wasn't a microwave, etc. ("then what the heck is it??").