View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I would put the Chrysler Building as one of the most recognized skyline icons in New York, but even the Empire State Building doesn't have protected view corridors. The Chrysler Building still will be visible from most angles anyway, regardless of whatever gets built here. However, we would hope that it's something that lives up to the iconic nature of the Chrysler Buildng, not to mention One Vanderbilt itself will be something of a skyline icon in its own right. Whatever is built here should be something that would bridge the two.

The Chrysler Building is nearly 90 years old, as old as the ESB and more of the classic skyscrapers Downtown like 40 Wall and 70 Pine Street. Even the Woolworth is still an icon after all these years and loss of dominance. No amount of new buildings around them will diminish that. In the case of the Chrysler Building, you actually need something much taller so the towers won't cancel each other out.

This building is also surrounded on all sides by designated landmarks, so there will be a lot of discussion about what goes up here. Also, they're planning to put a new Hyatt here, which would probably be for the upper floors. That would give eye popping views of the Chrysler Buildng.
The Chrysler building is within the Top 5 most important buildings in New York, I think that's a pretty fair thing to say. And it's a 'Capital L' Landmark. If it was obscured -substantially- then New York would really be losing something.

I don't think this new building on it's own will completely overwhelm it, but we also need to remember the Pfizer site one block east- also in planning phases for a big new development. We might see the Chrysler building really start to get hemmed in on both sides. That site is likely more impactful because it has the potential to block the view from queens- an iconic view of this building.