View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
I just want to say, on the subject of the Arena, Im all for a Center city arena, but this one concerns me. I do think it has potential to revitalize the area, to bring foot traffic one or two nights a week.
BUT there are too many things that can go wrong as well, the stadium could have negative effects on Jefferson station (More columns, less light, reduced openness etc) It could infact hurt chinatown a lot, look at DC,
I think there to much that can go wrong, we need protections, we need assurances from them that Jefferson station wont be impacted, that they have ways to handle the crowds, and that protections are in place to help Chinatown, maybe something like prioritizing development on parking lots, and protections for local business's and residents?
Count me among those who would generally like a center city arena who is starting to sour on this. I do not like the idea of ruining market east station. I don't like another covered road. Space seems too small to have enough street facing retail. And even though I disagree with some of their points, the resounding no from Chinatown is getting overwhelming. Rather than spend more time and money on this, might be time to move to plan C.

Speaking of plan C, I think enough time has passed for me to just say this without getting anyone in trouble. When plans for market East were first made public I was pretty shocked because a friend with inside information had just recently told me that things seemed to be quickly moving forward at another center city site. That site? Hahnemann Hospital.