View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
That may be what you think, and I'm sure you're not alone.

But I think if there is any interest in drawing more international visitors to Chicago, we aren't going to get there by telling everyone that Chicago is "just as good" as anywhere else.

Perhaps you don't really care, and that's fine. But don't expect everyone else to share your apathy about that matter.
I think I'm not making my point clear. . . it's not so much that I feel like Chicago is "just as good" as anywhere else, it's just that it's a totally different animal altogether. . .

Chicago is a great city with a lot of history that is well suited for a slightly different brand of tourist than the average person looking to see the Statue of Liberty or the beach. . . and I'm the first person that will tout our merits to international travelers that I meet. . . I'm sure people from Manchester UK or Frankfurt Germany have these same debates. . .

At the end of the day I don't think you're going to have much luck convincing some brain dead slob to come to Chicago over some other place that has more tourist-friendly offerings. . . and I've seen my share of them - wandering aimlessly around the United Center to get a picture at the statue of the guy from Space Jam. . . good thing we have Navy Pier to siphon off those hordes. . .

. . .