Thread: 2019 CFL Season
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 9:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I believe that those huge salaries back then (which were legit) were personal services contracts paid directly by the owner (Ismail in T.O., McNall) (Flutie in Calgary, Ryckman). I'm not sure if each team was allowed one marquee player at the time or if the league was thinking of implementing that or if I am confusing that with something else. I'm sure someone can google the correct answer.

Holy cow, I just looked it up to see what happened to Larry Ryckman, he's only 59 years old.
I am old enough to remember what was probably the first CFL spending binge era, which occurred during the first half of the 1980s.

It was a bit of a golden, optimistic age for the CFL. Montreal had a new stadium and was pulling in large crowds (think 50,000-60,000), the Argos were consistently in the 40,000-50,000 range, as was Edmonton (with Warren Moon at the helm). Vancouver was building BC Place where the Lions would move in, and so just under half of the league was playing in what were close to NFL-sized stadiums (back in the day).

I distinctly recall how the CFL wasn't really seen by that many people as a joke "second fiddle" to the NFL. Obviously, people weren't stupid - we had NFL games on TV and knew it was a big(ger) deal. But the disparity in calibre between the two wasn't constantly brought up as it is today (often exaggeratedly so) and there was a sense that the CFL was a totally respectable product, worthy of interest.

I guess certain team owners thought there was nowhere to go but up, and that the popularity of their game was unassailable.

The biggest culprits were the Montreal Alouettes who, emboldened by amazing attendance, signed some pretty big name stars either from the NFL or straight out of college. They gave them big-time money too. Often more than they would have made in the NFL. People like Vince Ferragamo, Tom Cousineau, Billy White Shoes Johnson, David Overstreet. But just as soon as they built their dream team, everything went bust. They had some horrible seasons and attendance at the Big O plummeted as fast as it had risen.

There were also big contracts given by other teams too. I remember Calgary giving Joe Barnes what I believe was the first million dollar contract in CFL history.

Heady days. And then (most) everything fell apart.