View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post

diners using binoculars to read distant wall menu at Scandia 1954

gs: Love those Scandia shots... Roselle the cashier... and the "cigar-chomper" above (ok, cigarette-chomper in this case). Whenever I see those classic
'40s/'50s high-waisted pants (which I'm always trying to figure out in terms of the anatomy--guess it's a whole other cut of the cloth), I think of the
one and only William Frawley.

dearoldhollywood.com

Poor old Bill collapsed at 79 on the NW corner of Hollywood and Ivar in 1966.
Google Street View
He was taken to the Knickerbocker nearby and he died there. It turned out that before
having recently moved to an apartment on Rossmore, the Knick had been his longtime home.

Which leads me to Irene, the famous one-name costume designer:
lalalandhistory.blogspot.com
Is she thinking of Gary?

Her sad end at the Knick, according to lalalandhistory.blogspot.com:

"After a flourishing and fairly steady career, including 2 Academy Award nominations, the 61-year-old Irene checked into the Knickerbocker under a pseudonym. Friends had noticed that she was melancholy and had been depressed for some time. Some chalked it up to her unhappy marriage to Eliot Gibbons; some stated that she was still pining for the recently deceased Gary Cooper, who was allegedly the only man she ever really loved. Whatever the source of her misery, she could apparently no longer endure it. On November 15, 1962, at about 3 in the afternoon, she slit her wrists in her room. But...she found that death was not coming quickly enough. Desperate for an end to her pain, she flung herself from the bedroom window, landing on the roof over the lobby. Her body was discovered later that evening.... The beauty of her designs lives on in films like The Postman Always Rings Twice, where Lana Turner's 'hot pants' became the new hot item." (I knew there had to be a noir connection....)

lalaland.blogspot.com
Through these doors....

LAPL
The Hollywood Knickerbocker, 1714 N. Ivar, 1938