View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I still don't understand why Austin, TX is considered such a "cool/unique/hip" city. It is not any of those things. It's pretty mediocre truthfully.
I think a lot of it is due to Texas' most prominent cities Houston and Dallas being perceived as the total opposite of "cool/unique/hip". They long had reputations of being stodgy/generic/conservative places. Long mocked for their "high hair/fake cowboy/Big Texas" reputations.

Austin was always the edgy antidote to the silliness of its in-state big brothers. I think that's changed a bit though, as Houston and Dallas have attracted so many people from all over, thus helping to up their own cool factors... while Austin has become much more "corporate" over the past two decades (becoming more and more like Houston and Dallas in ways).

I would say Austin is definitely better than mediocre. It's still the coolest big city in Texas, but the bar for "cool cities" was never too high in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Austin can be overrated like a great number of places (**cough** New Orleans **Sneeze** Miami) but it is still a cool and hip place. Having a major university and continually attracting progressive people has a way of doing that.
I feel bad for you if you've come away from time spent in New Orleans or Miami with feelings of them being overrated. You definitely missed out on some things there. Or, maybe my interests as a young man may have been quite different than yours