View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post

That a city with our population and our demographics cannot support even a modest athletic stadium and/or a large concert facility strikes me as bizarre. I have a hard time getting past the fact that there are four universities in this city with athletic programs including football, soccer, and track; they cannot find the wherewithal to cooperate to advance the development of a community stadium.

I recently had a chance to visit Seattle and spent quite a bit of time in and around the remarkable Seattle Center complex. Seattle Center is a massive site that includes a 12,000-seat stadium, a 17,000 seat arena, a 2900-seat concert hall, five theatres, parkland, museums, galleries, restaurants and many more attractions. It's a recreation and arts showpiece that has -- to be clear -- developed over more than fifty years.

Just incidentally, the Shannon Park lands are 82 acres, compared to Seattle Center's 74 acres. Halifax's metro population is 400,000; Seattle's is 652,000. Halifax's median total household income is $80,490 CAD (2012 census). Seattle's is $62,195 USD (2010 census). Halifax's unemployment rate is 6% (NSLabour Force Survey: Oct. 2014); Seattle's is 5.1% (USDofL: Sept 2014)
I absolutely agree with your first point, and the Seattle development sounds fantastic for sure... but Seattle's metro pop is 3.6 million.

Last edited by terrynorthend; Nov 29, 2014 at 6:31 PM.