View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I mean it in the sense that we've reached one of those times in life with a "social lull". We are both extremely busy with our careers right now and, being the DINKs of the family or friends group, we are always traveling to visit people who have kids or are older. That takes up a lot of time and leaves us with few days a week to socialize. Add in existing friends who we are very close with and you don't have much time for finding and making new friends.

And yeah, I've probably never had a larger business network or more social interactions with people through my career, but you can only become so friendly with a GC or architect or tenant or even just a business connection.

I'm sure it will flip overnight once we have kids and need to start allocating tons of time to their activities and schooling at which point there will be tons of other parents looking to pass the time while watching JR swing hopelessly at the softball.
I was going to respond to your earlier post by saying that typically one's social life *explodes* when you have kids. When you imagine becoming a parent you envision your social life grinding to a halt but it's the exact opposite - though it does undergo a major transformation, but it gets very busy unless you push back and isolate yourself (which some people do). But for most it's to the point where sometimes it's challenging to juggle all the commitments: professional, family, social.

My wife and I met more people in our neighbourhood in the first six months after we had our first child than in the previous six years we lived there.