View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 10:35 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
^ Sahuaros don't provide any shade. They are also expensive as hell, and a pain (pun intended) to move.

Better to plant some big-assed shade trees if you ask me.

--don
Palm trees don't provide any shade either, thats what I meant. I'd rather people plant saguaros than palms if they are going to plant a purely decorative, non shade providing plant.

I'll never understand the whole "desert plants are fine for the 'burbs, but not the central city" mentality, if you think desert plants are ugly, why live in a desert? Obviously maybe you can't move or what have you, but I for one lived in another (non desert) state for four years and missed its beauty very much, I'd like to see much more desert scaping done in the Central City. All of that being said, it does seem like desert scaping can also be done very poorly most of the time, and just end up being loads of gravel and very little shade, but thats not really what I'm referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
God forbid you even suggest taking away the suicide lane on 7th street or 7th ave!
Do you really like them? I just wrote Tom Simplot an email saying I hope they get rid of them. They are dangerous, they just seem to confuse people and they make it impossible to get into local businesses. I'd much rather see say 2 lanes going north on 7th ave and 3 going south and vice versa on 7th St (or whichever would work out better) with large planters in the middle that would 1. look nice, 2. increase safety, 3. slightly reduce noise, 4. slightly reduce heat.