View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I always assumed that gentrification also applies to longtime businesses that are being displaced because of rising property values. In my opinion, a lavanderia or shoe repair place that leaves because their leases expired and to renew them would mean paying way more per month than they've been and then the businesses that replace them are an esoteric cheese shop and a $15 per milkshake milkshake bar = gentrification.
You can make the argument I suppose that businesses can be gentrified, but really we need a different name for the process. My point was though the neighborhood had literally only 200 residents back in 2000 (600 in 2010 probably 2,000-3,000 today) so very few people have been displaced by all the new development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yea some have also been turned into private homes. something of value is still lost, since the interior of these churches if often just as significant as the exterior. but given the choice, its still the best option. some of these are executed better than others.
There's a small, not particularly nice one of these in my neighborhood. Honestly it's a pretty undistinguished small church, and considering it could fit at least four single-family homes at the normal neighborhood densities, I think it would have been better if it was demolished. Hopefully the owners subdivide the gigundo yard at least.

A nicer example up the hill from me in a more suburban neighborhood. This was bought by a couple from San Diego who use part of the complex as a personal art studio and music studio. It's kinda a shame though, because that area is super-suburban and could use something other than yet another single-family house.