View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
In my mind fossil fuels can always be developed and used in more and more efficient ways. Technology is continuously being advanced to emit less CO2 and/or capture and store CO2 emissions. People hang on to the fact that at this point in time fossil fuels very reliant and adaptable for many uses... mind you, I am literally shopping online right now looking to purchase battery powered chainsaw, because it is more convenient for myself and my purposes.

Electric and fossil fuels are driving each other to 1. In fossil fuel case, be more environmentally efficient, and 2. Electric/battery powered, be more cost competitive and dependable.

They, for the foreseeable future, are both going to be used in conjunction for some time. It’s a matter of developing and consuming the fossil fuels in more and more efficient ways. I’m excited to see the ingenuity that comes because of these challenges.

This is my opinion of course, and I’m hoping I don’t get roasted by anyone. I care for the environment, I live in an environmentally conscious way, and support the continuous development of both fossil fuels and green energy, as I said before, they will help each other become more cost and environmentally friendly.
Nothing to roast there, this is the rational viewpoint. Where we might differ is the speed to which this needs to happen and the amount of government intervention neccesary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The oil industry will never go away completely. The need for energy dense fuels will persist for a long time in aviation and in the ocean shipping industry. In addition, oil is vital in the plastics manufacturing industry.

Having said this however, we should be as efficient and parsimonious in our oil extraction industry as possible. EVs for personal transportation is a no brainer. HSR should be encouraged for short to intermediate range intercity travel. Long distance travel will continue to be primarily via jet aircraft, but these can be made as fuel efficient as possible. Great strides are being made in plastic recycling (and I am not just talking about shopping bags here), but there will always be a need for new materials for the plastics industry as recycling can never supply 100% of the needs.

In the end, I would much prefer to keep as much oil in the ground as possible. I would much rather see a resource that will last us 50,000 years rather a resource that will be exhausted in 100 years...........
Even if liquid hydrocarbon remains the only practical way to fuel certain processes (like air travel, space launch vehicles, the military), in some far flung future it could be preferable to generate that fuel synthetically using renewable energy or nuclear fission or fusion. Though natural gas might still be the best choice for petrochemical feedstock in far, far reduced quantities than is necessary today for fuel.