Thread: CFL 2020 Season
View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
This is probably true of most cities but Regina is a special case. There are tens of thousands of football nuts in the city who are passionate for the local team and for the sport itself. I would think attendances of 5,000 people for any game is realistic, especially because (as you say) tickets for the Roughrider games will be impossible to get for most people. I believe the Roughies have a season ticket base approaching 20,000 which makes it a good choice for a CFL hub city, if the 2020 season goes ahead.
The Redblacks played their very first preseason game in Sask back in 2013 because TD Place wasn't ready and it drew a pretty modest crowd by Sask standards, like around 13,000. Mind you supply of football games wasn't an issue that year, though neither were covid-related health concerns.

I don't know, I think in Winnipeg any football games not involving the Bombers or the Riders in these circumstances would be lucky to crack 5,000, unless tickets were marked down. I would probably spring for a neutral site game or two just for a rare evening out at an event, but I suspect I'd be in the minority on that one. However, at this point I don't think the league is terribly concerned about whether there are 3,000 fans in the stands vs. 8,000 or whatever.