View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
I think it’s a safe bet to say the technology of the last century is not going to be the technology of the next century. These VIA threads should be re-titled, “Beating a Dead Iron Horse”. Western Canadian passenger rail isn’t coming back, it’s been obsolete for decades. Autonomous vehicles will obsolete most public transit systems in the next half century.
I agree that the technology of the past may not be the technology of tomorrow. The thing is we won't know how well the new technologies of today will be accepted and how they will be affected by the technologies of tomorrow that we haven't even imagined.

It is possible the autonomous vehicles will help boost VIA Rail's ridership. If people end up not owning cars, the excuse of needing a car at your destination goes away, so taking the train (or bus) may make more sense, especially if it is faster, cheaper and more comfortable than having an autonomous vehicle drive you.

If I did have to make a prediction, I expect that the death of the petroleum industry will cause both Calgary and Edmonton to implode, and they will become the size of Regina and Saskatoon. If that happens, even they may not have the population to support intercity rail.