View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You guys are really stretching to make it seem like Phoenix is a hotbed...

Look, the city is better than it used to be but it's not quite there yet. Just accept/admit that and lets move on to something else. I'm not saying I expected 20 people waiting for the walk sign at each intersection but I walked from Whining Pig to Angel's Trumpet and could count on one hand how many people I saw. If you're telling me that's normal for a big city (especially New York, as you mentioned) you're high as a kite.
I can say for a fact that cities even like Chicago are pretty slow on Sundays. I know as I used to go there around 5 times per year on average when I lived in Ohio and spent my weekends there. I always had a hard time finding places in the core of Chicago on Sundays since a lot of places were closed (aside from a few of the famous hotspots). LA is also pretty dead on Sundays. San Diego is slow except along the waterfront. San Francisco is even slow except around Chinatown or the Pier. Same can be said for nearly any major city I've ever been to. Sunday nights are just not a time most people get out, even for dinner. The weekend is winding down, people are getting things in order for work Monday morning and a lot of businesses simply close by 6. The only exceptions are when there are events going on.

As for the rest of the week, Phoenix has come along immensely when it comes to it's Downtown activity. I'm down here every single day for work. I walk 3 miles around Downtown during my lunch every day. And then a few evenings per week, I walk around after work to check out the construction progress. I have noticed big changes over the last couple of years. There are still some slow areas. This will change with the completion of the Stewart, Link and hopefully Derby. Fry's and Barrister will activate entire blocks and the AC Marriott along with the residential tower are going to push AZ Center into the territory never seen since it was built.

It will be a whole new Downtown in a year from now...but still slow on Sundays.