Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Thank you very much for the reply and trust me, I shared the sentiment across the Forums or Social Media in this country that VIA's management was glaringly blind for the "obvious" before I joined VIA, but if I learnt one thing from working there, it's that things start to make sense once you become aware of the various constraints which are invisible to anyone looking from the outside. I wish I could share much more than I do, but unfortunately, the price of being on the "inside" is that you can't post as freely as if you were still just a "regular" rail enthusiast...
To be clear, if it wasn't, I don't place the blame for what I see as clear mistakes much on VIA. They have been given a specific set of tasks (which I understand much better now because of your posts) and very limited resources to carry out that task in a very annoying operating environment. I don't agree with all of those tasks VIA is assigned, but the people I level the blame at are my government.

If it were up to me, my preference would be for all track to be owned by one national body and the right to operate on that track rented out. Short of that, I'd at least want a national body responsible for strategic investment in our rail lines and allocation of resources. And for the rail companies to not be even approaching the power a provincial or federal government has.