View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
Funny, that's the exact same alignment and stations I created for an old thread in this forum years ago... glad I'm not the only one who sees this potential. I bet a lot of transit enthusiasts and urban planners have thought the same as well. Too bad Trimet doesn't have a dedicated funding mechanism for capital improvement projects, without proper funding a subsurface alignment will (likely) never happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshYent View Post
hmmm so few stops......i definitely think there should be some more.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
huh. me too.

all of those stops, esp. pcc, would draw significant numbers of riders. and the topography is such that, at least from terwilliger to ohsu, choices are limited. i could see some surface running between terwilliger and capitol hwy, and then of course thru tigard, but that's about it.
Im from Vancouver BC, and I can vouch for subways! During the Olympics, our ALRT system was at over 500,000 a day ridership - pushing against Philadelphia, DC, Toronto, etc.

Of course that number will drop back to about 175-200 million perday, which is normal for us.

Subways, are worth it, but (and I'm sure you all know this) the key is building them in dense areas (which Vancouver has more than Portland; although you can still do it successfully) and .... having an important main terminus.

One of ours is the airport, all three terminate downtown, and others go to the "town centres," satellite cluster cities, not unlike some cities in Northern Europe.

If you could that subway extended downtown, then to the airport, and the university, you'd be on your way.

I understand your LRT system is excellent also

Last edited by trofirhen; Mar 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM.