View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2010, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
One of the ugliest chirches i've ever seen,...

Totaly out of proportion and nothing in common with the cothic stile at all...
There is a subsection of Gothic Revival that uses brick instead of stone and it is that style that I am reminded of when I look at that church. It is not perfect but it is an admirable effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Actually the most popular buildings on University of Chicago's campus continue to be some of the wildest Modernist buildings. For example, the Regenstein library is extremely popular with students. Part of the problem with Modernism was that a lot of "experiments" turned into complete mistakes. Remember that classical styles developed over a period of hundreds of years while Modernism came into being in about 50. There are bound to be mistakes, but when done correctly Modernist building can function so excellently that everyone who uses them loves them dearly.

Another great example of Modernist university architecture that is absolutely adored by the students who use it is the Mies masterpiece Crown Hall at IIT. It simply worships those who use it. It exists solely to make the students happy and enshrine their work.
All I am saying is that those buildings in the "traditional" styles will last longer and be treasured longer than any building in the "modern" styles. Polls done that ask regular people, not the close minded university set, indicate that it is not the "modern" buildings that people love.