View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
The only way “more families” equals “fewer single people” is if the supply of housing is restricted. Otherwise developers will build enough units for everyone who wants to live in a neighborhood.
I don’t see any issue with an alderman saying he wants more families. That’s natural, kids are natural. The issue is saying “I want more families, and cut that 300 unit building down to 80 units, and make it all 3 bedrooms”.
I think you're right and there isn't anything wrong with saying that you value families. However, it has been a strategy for decades to wink as one says "We want more three bedroom condos and apartments." What is plainly meant is "We want to make it more challenging for lower income folks to afford this neighborhood by only supplying housing that comes in large sizes."

It was said when they banned courtyard buildings. It was said when they banned 4+1's. It's said every time a building is proposed that contains a significant number of studios. It's said whenever a suburb imposes a large minimum lot size. Saying "we want family housing" is sometimes like saying, "I favor state's rights" instead of openly supporting some unpalatable initiative that a state may have proposed. It's a commonly understood to be coded language.