View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 10:10 PM

It's funny this thread should be created now, because look what I've been doing the last couple days:

I also just recently moved here and have been living car-free for the most part, so I know a little bit.

My ideas (at their absolute most imginative) are as follows:

In the Northwest area, Plaza Dr is a great candidate for the centre-passing-lane concept, allowing an on-street lane for its length. The marked area is likely to be developed at some point, so the existing Worthington Ave lane should be extended. The big project here is based on an idea I got from this very forum: an overpass connecting the two segments of Ryan St, connecting to a trail that would run along Mountain Rd where there is currently no access, and around the corner to the bit that's already there. This part is important because the current sharrow on the Mapleton overpass is an absolute joke unlikely to encourage any non-enthusiast cyclist. I would add a painted lane along the length of Maplehurst Dr, including its future extension to Ryan St. Lastly, A painted lane further along Gorge Rd, before taking a two streets in the new residential areas around Mountain Woods golf and maybe Ensley Dr, rather than bothering with the current 4-lane section of Mountain Rd.

Further east, we have the Vision Lands. What this area will look like in the future is beyond the scope of this thread, but it's easy to imagine, say, a new crossing of Route 15 from Carson Rd and a trail alongside Leopold F. Belliveau Dr to Mapleton. There is also room for a new lane on the Morton Ave overpass and an extension of trail along Morton (as simple as replacing the sidewalk with asphalt). Granite Dr is going to have a trail on its north side allowing bikes access to go all the way from McLaughlin Dr to Harrisville Blvd.

Speaking of Harrisville Blvd, that road is clearly meant to have a trail running parallel to it, linking up with Dieppe Blvd to eventually provide up to 10km of continuous trail. In Lewisville and on the Dieppe side of Route 15, new lanes on quiet residential streets will combine with the more easy-going section of Acadie Ave and a trail along Champlain where there's no sidewalk. A crossing of the highway could also be built.

Dieppe will really just extend some existing trails, such as along Dieppe Blvd, Melanson Rd, and Fox Creek Rd. The real challenge is the future sprawl, but they seem to have their bases covered on that.

Riverview has a few thing already happening. The new bridge will include a crossing; in addition, the riverfront trails on both sides could be extended. At the most extreme, this could go as far as I've shown. The planned Bridgedale Blvd will have a trail, as will a third bridge if it ever materializes (decades from now I'm sure). Either way the ROW that exists for such a bridge makes for a great future corridor.

Downtown, there are likely more changes to come than I've shown, but I agree with the idea of making Gordon/Queen the artery. The existing sharrow should IMO be replaced by a full-on lane, extended to Steadman St and along Steadman and King to Botsford St.

It's hard to imagine a much more significant network than this.

Bear in mind this is a dream scenario, but about half this stuff is based on what's already planned. Almost none of it requires considerable property acquisition.