View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
In particular, I think Moncton is well placed to expand a trail based active transportation system as the city grows. For example, the Northwest Trail is a fabulous resource, and if I wanted, I could cycle downtown about 85% of the way on a trail system completely divorced from the street grid. This is where bicycle trails belong - well away from the street grid. I would be in favour of enhancing the trail system in the city by paving them all.
You won't find much disagreement there. I'll take gravel over nothing, though!
Quote:
Expanding active transportation on the street grid is more problematic, and should be approached in a rational manner. In general, I do not oppose the conversion of Salisbury Road and Shediac Road to single lane/central turning lane from four lane, with the creation of bicycle lanes on either side. I think this approach is reasonable given current traffic volumes.
I admit I haven't tried those particular routes yet.
Quote:
I however am a fierce opponent of pedestrianization of Main Street. Main Street is the only continuous cross town route in the core, and the experiment they tried this summer was an abysmal failure, which should never be repeated. I likewise was gratified to see the return of the western portion of Mountain Road to four lane traffic this year. If a bicycle trail is to be created at some point along Mountain Road, then sacrifice one of the sidewalks to do this. There is no room for bicycles on busy commuter roadways.
I'll agree AND disagree here... I agree that the way the lane was added wasn't very well done. To be fair, I think it's intent was more about patios/walking traffic than cyclists, as the latter weren't helped much at all (might have been worse, to be honest).

I cycle Main before, during and now after the experiment and I prefer just keeping right and going with traffic. I have flashing rear light, wear a helmet, and don't run red lights or stop signs. If there is no bike lane, I won't even pull up next to a car if waiting in line. In short... act like a car.

That said, I know that's not an option for everyone... it takes a minimum level of technology and physical fitness to be able to go with traffic flow and not inhibit it too much. It's also good practice for when you are outside the city and have no choice but to travel on narrower, less busy, but in many ways more dangerous (speed) roads.

In the end, a lot of the issues are resolved with education of both types of transportation (car/cycle).