View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:33 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
It's actually not 100% privately financed. It's private insofar as there is limited direct investment by the US, Texas, or any local governments. So, little of your tax dollars are going into it.

And, finally, the extension from Dallas through the Arlington/DFW area and on to Fort Worth will be planned and built by the public sector.
The extension to FW will be studied, I 'm not so sure it will ever get that far to be planned, designed, and built. Especially when the public sector will be subsidizing regional trains, whatever their speed, paralleling I-35. The TRE route already exists and Amtrak will be moving to it soon, a two seat ride with a transfer in Dallas isn't going to make or break the Texas Central train. Likewise, a two seat ride with a transfer in Fort Worth hasn't made or broken the Heartland Flyer train. Once they discover how much the Dallas o Fort Worth HSR link is going to cost, they'll find other ways to spend that money wiser.

In urban and suburban Texas, there isn't room anymore for train tracks in the median - especially in I-30 and I-45. If Texas Central chooses the freeway alignment, the tracks will more likely be placed between the main freeway lanes and the adjacent service road, aka DART's Green Line in Irving.. The service road would provide better access to a future train station for both pedestrians and vehicles than one in a median.

Last edited by electricron; Apr 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM.