View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
Nobody's asking for, nor expecting free gasoline or parking spaces. All Im saying is that if there were 100 public spaces in Cunard before development, there should be 100 public spaces on top of the buildings requirements after. It is public land after all.
I don't agree. For every parking space you replace with a living unit you have replaced a hoped-for consumer with a built-in one.

Quote:
Some visitors stay in the downtown hotels yes, but many are daytrippers, or people staying at cheaper hotels outside the core, or some who are just in the city for a short while before moving on.
Exactly. Everyone in the Cunard Block or the BOC development or the Discovery Ctr. development etc. will be a user of the facilities and businesses downtown on a regular dependable basis.

I won't write off the tourist dollars. I'd be a fool if I did. But I think the basis of the downtown economy should be the people living there.

Quote:
Do you expect them to park the Family Truckster at some distant park and ride and shuffle the kiddies on an unfamiliar bus system, just so they can drop some coin on the waterfront? Not happening. They'll take one drive through, see no spots and that'll be it. Money down the drain.
I guess I see it as a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" situation.