View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I recall reading about those riots before, seemingly resulting from a dangerous combination of ignorance, racism, and likely PTSD before anybody knew about PTSD.

Very sad and unfortunate events from a different time in Halifax's history. One has to wonder if this event, or latent attitudes that existed before and after this event, may have had some effect on Halifax never having formed a 'Chinatown' like many other Canadian and American cities in the late 19th/early 20th century.
I wonder about this too but then again the riots that happened in Halifax were tame compared to a lot of other cities. It sounds like there were no fatalities from this for example. Anti-Chinese sentiment was certainly not a Halifax-specific thing either.

These stories from the early 1900's remind me of what you might hear from a developing country today. The standard of living, education levels, communication, policing, etc. were probably similar in a bunch of ways. Lots of ignorant people with very tough lives.