View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:54 PM

I was poking around your old neighborhood, Frank, down on 59th Place.... I found where you once lived, but then I was distracted by another building that may
or may not have been on the corner of 59th Place and Vermont. I say "may or may not have been," because while there is the photograph (top left) of a DPW
office by S. Charles Lee, the address of the building isn't specified in the UCLA library specs. It appears to be a modification of the Lee design at top right. I
can't find any shots of the corner 59th Place and Vermont... maybe the building in the first photo was there and was desecrated in a remodeling--the current
building looks like it would be the same size. It does have a little Midcentury charm, but I wish I could find out if the Lee design was ever actually built there.

S. Charles Lee, of course, was known for his great movie theater designs. But everything he did was theatrical--
such as the Max Factor building--and his structures for the Department of Water and Power. One of his designs
for the DPW is certain... the one at 2417 Daly Street in Lincoln Heights:

Top: UCLA; LAPL; Google SV

Bottom: Google SV; LAPL