Thread: Block 23
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Your taxes go to Mesa USD, not to a specific school. Some GPLET situations, like Derby, have made deals with the school districts to make up for lost funds.
Yes that's correct- my property taxes go to my school district, as opposed to sales taxes that go to a general state or city budget that can be used for anything. We're all familiar with how the AZ legislature has drastically cut funding to education, resulting in an even higher reliance on property taxes. GPLETs exacerbate this problem.

Here's a good analysis:

Quote:
The group found that Arizona has become a national leader for local funding of schools, with 48 percent the funding of school districts coming from bonds and budget overrides, compared to 45 percent nationally. Bond and override funds draw on property taxes from residents of area school districts, while state money comes from state taxes on store purchases and job income.

As the Maricopa County Elections website shows, 11 of 21 school districts in the county are asking voters to approve bond elections this November, while 10 are asking for budget overrides. Statewide, according to the ASBA, school districts will hold 53 override and bond elections.
Also keep in mind that even if the Derby has made a deal with a school district, other resources are still getting short-changed (i.e. fire department, police, road constructions, etc.) meaning property owners still have to make up that difference.