View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
V braces might look better than X braces but from a engendering view point there are too many stresses on the mid V sections unless there is a thick steel I beam headers above the pic to alleviate that.
But even a thick header does not explain the lack of support at all 4 corners of the building unless the core is taking the load and it is just a cantilever building.

One should not put stresses in the middle of the V without making them worthy of the load.

IMO There has to be an unseen component of those Y braces from the top from prevent them from buckling the Y braces from expanding outward.

We wont know the real details and may never will unless someone has blueprints. But I am sure that it is compensated because no firm would do such a thing taking esthetics over form and function if it was not 300 years safe. But the pic looks unstable from the perspective of a lay viewer.

You just can't get away from downward and outward pressure on a V triangle brace in the middle if it is not mitigated and I am sure it will be but the pics do not show the beefing up needed.

The more I look at the pic the more I see the core handling down pressure and it being a cantilever building and the outside supports are just flourish unlike the JHC building that needed X braces for function alone.
You seem to be overlooking the simple fact that the support structure can go well underneath street level...