View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
What's wrong with Navy pier that they need to redesign it? I haven't been there in years (because I live in Chicago and have already been there numerous times), but I remember it being just fine the way it was. I never wanted to grab my trunks and go swimming while I was there so I think pool ideas are ridiculous. Also, the ramps seem kind of point less for a project like this. It's a flat pier where tourist go. Why would ramps make that more fun? The designs are definitely different, I'll give them that, but not different good. Overall, disappointed.
The pier needs some sort of baseline upgrade. Attendance has dipped a bit in the past few years...llikely due to the recession which reflects the number of out-of-state visits.

The food court areas suffer from a confusing layout and not enough seating. Midway concourses are undersized and cannot adequately accommodate enough retail and food kiosks.

Restooms have always been undersized, and have poor in-out circulation. The stage just before you get to the winter garden has always tended to be more of an obstruction than a benefit.

Of course, crowding is part of the excitement, but I think that's what makes it a turn off to local residents. Once you've seen it, you've done it. If you improve the experience, people will come back. I think the kids certain enjoy it, but I was a parent, the crowds would make me a bit nervous and I'd be worried my kids would get separated.

Further back in this thread, I pointed out that one of the benefits of Michigan Ave's continued success is that it's always changing. If I'm an out of state or international visitor, it's kind of nice to see a different street everytime I visit. It's something to look forward to. Navy Pier needs to be the same way. It should be able to support a rotation of attractions and vendors, and in such a way that it doesn't inhibit circulation and experience of the pier.

As far as permanent features, Millennium Park is always interesting and fun everytime I visit. It hasn't gotten old on me. Part of it has to do with the quality of the installations. However....they should be fun and engaging for all ages. They should stand up to some wear and tear so that they don't require a full staff of security to tell you how to use or when you can go near it.

I think the proposals are headed in the right direction. They are concepts with big ideas. I realize they will become refined and address the details and complexity of the pier as they move forward.

-------------------------------------------------

I went into the new Walgreen at State and Randolph. Very nice and definitely more of a marketplace vibe. I also stopped by the loft highrise renovation at Randolph and Wells. The facade is looking good all polished and cleaned up.

Last edited by Rizzo; Jan 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM.