View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's an article on the progress of Bill 83: http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/662...nt-amendments/

Actual bill description and current status shown here: http://nslegislature.ca/index.php/pr...nded_-_bill_83

Quote:
This Bill amends the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter to

(a) define and delineate a “Centre Plan Area” in the central area of the Halifax Regional Municipality on both sides of Halifax Harbour and define “affordable housing”;

(b) permit incentive or bonus zoning under the land-use by-law or incentive or bonus zoning agreements in the Centre Plan Area ;

(c) authorize the HRM Council to include requirements in a land-use by-law that provides for incentive or bonus zoning in the central area of the Municipality , including the existing HRM by Design Downtown Plan Area ;

(d) require the inclusion of affordable housing as a contribution for incentive or bonus zoning for a development in the Centre Plan Area;

(e) authorize the Council to accept money in lieu of contributions under an incentive or bonus zoning agreement for incentive or bonus zoning in the central area of the Municipality; and

(f) authorize the Minister to make regulations respecting

(i) the nature and extent of affordable housing to be required by the land-use by-law or incentive or bonus zoning agreements in the Centre Plan Area and the enforcement of the affordable housing requirements , and
(ii) public consultation prior to site-plan approvals in the Centre Plan Area.
This makes a lot of sense in terms of economic incentives to developers but I also like how it takes the wind out of the sails of the incoherent "affordable housing vs. developers cashing in" rhetoric that is so common. Developers are the ones who build new housing, and affordability comes from having a robust supply of new construction. Throwing up roadblocks that stop developers from building to serve any segment of the market restricts supply and pushes prices up. The real downsides of development meanwhile come when it is poorly planned and when developers and new residents don't cover their costs, as in most new suburban areas. The Centre Plan addresses this as well.

I think eventually it would also be a good thing for the city to permit density bonuses in exchange for money spent on heritage preservation. Unfortunately I don't think groups like the HT will push for policies because of their NIMBY ties.