View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm sure others on this forum already know about the Hines/Levy project along the river. Well, I assume it's now safe to talk about this curving tower because the architect's (Pickard Chilton) website now features info on 200 North Riverside - 50 floors

200 North Riverside Plaza is a fifty story, 1.2 million gross square foot project comprising office, retail, restaurants, a boat house and public spaces; a 1.5 acre public plaza; and three levels of below-grade parking. Located on a triangular site bordered by West Lake Street, Canal Street and the broad confluence of the branching North and South Chicago Rivers, 200 North Riverside enhances the character of this prominent river frontage while concealing the existing railroad tracks below. It is Pickard Chilton’s second major project in Chicago for Hines.

The tower’s unique sculptural form creates a striking silhouette from multiple vantage points throughout the city and responds to the wonderful qualities of its important waterfront site. The tower’s sweeping curves capture natural light within the building as well as provide panoramic views outward. A sky terrace perched six hundred feet above the river accentuates the distinct image of the tower’s crown and offers dramatic views of the river, the Loop and Lake Michigan on the horizon.

The riverfront plaza, a welcome public amenity for the West Loop neighborhood, is designed to reshape the urban fabric by creating a lively civic space that encourages pedestrian activity along the waterfront. The open public plaza cascades down to the river walk and the water’s edge through a series of landscaped terraces, water features, seating areas, and arcing pathways. The space enjoys abundant sunlight throughout the day and provides a pleasant respite along on the course of the river.

The public boat house, operated by the Park District of the City of Chicago, accommodates kayaks, canoes, and crew boats. The boat house also provides boat storage, locker rooms, a multipurpose gathering space, staff offices and an elevated, covered observation terrace. The building’s streamlined, sweeping roof design draws its inspiration from the highly refined form of competition oar blades.

As a Class-A office building, 200 North Riverside’s state-of-the-art design will serve as the headquarters for major international corporations. The grand and welcoming lobby features a sixty five foot high expanse of glass that acts as a proscenium arch framing views of the plaza, the river and cityscape beyond. Located above the lobby is a 50,000 square foot double-height conference center with a crescent-shaped exterior terrace that overlooks the river. The tower’s floor plates are configured to accommodate flexibility and efficiency in interior planning. The building’s richly articulated glass and silver metallic curtain wall, a key component in achieving a LEED Silver pre-certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, will minimize solar heat gain, maximize interior day lighting and enable expansive views.

Vert nice. I'm almost impressed, but for that location, it's way too short. They need to throw another 30 floors on top of it. As I said before, that location on the river is too prominent for bullshit. I'm going to send an email to Hines as weel as Picard/Chilton. We need to inform these guys what would be the smarter move.

How much you want to bet that people in Riverbend are going to complain?